Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Mind Of His Own


While waiting for the time to pass when I could take Elliot to Marin, life became a series of walking him and introducing him to neighbors as we passed. Elliot showed his social proclivities. He loved people. He also loved children and other dogs, at least the ones that weren’t aggressive. He didn’t pay too much attention to cats.

However, as we walked up and down the steep hills surrounding my home, I began to notice a change. Whenever we came to a house where he had met someone, or when voices drifted out from homes, he would stop heeling and pull towards the driveways. When I pulled back, he showed his other side. He would sit down and refuse to move. Sometimes he jumped up, and I had to fight him to get down. He had a strong stubborn streak.

When we returned to our house, he refused to climb the porch steps. He sat and stared at me, as if to say “you can’t make me.” Elliot had a mind of his own.

This had to stop. I filled my pockets with reward goodies and stepped up the dog training. It seems to be working – everything but the steps. I can’t help wondering whether they have something to do with his bone problems, but I don’t really think that’s it.

Then came the puppy problems. Elliot chewed the corner of the living room
carpet. Luckily, he pulled the corner over and chewed underneath. I covered it with 100 % cayenne pepper. He has not gone near it again.

Elliot is still the sweet loving dog I adopted, but with a few glitches. I had forgotten how much energy it takes to train a puppy, a 70 pound one at that. Dog training classes are definitely on the agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment