Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Bundle of Contradictions

As he gets familiar with his environment Elliot is more sure of himself. He asserts himself more, yet breaks barriers when he doesn’t want to follow the rules.

He is afraid of losing what he has. When I took the cover from his bed to throw into the washing machine, he became very upset. He did not know what I had done with it. Then when I took the mattress to air out on the rail of the side deck, he followed it out and lay down beneath it.

I am usually with him most of the time because he has to be watched carefully, to protect the house from his chewing, and to make sure he doesn’t eat something he shouldn’t. Usually, if I go somewhere in the car, I take him with me. However, when I took my granddaughter to lunch in Ukiah for her birthday, it was too hot to leave him in the car. I left him with Bill. When I returned he would have nothing to do with me for the rest of the day. The following day he was back to trailing me around.

He is curious about everything around him, and is easily distracted, particularly when being walked. He has gained 10 pounds since I got him and is not easy to walk. We walk at 6:30 in the morning, because there aren’t too many distractions. On a Sunday morning, with not even a car driving by, the walk was going well. Then a man ran by in the other direction. Elliot began jumping up and wanted to run with him. Trying to keep an 80 pound giant puppy focused and obeying is difficult. Yes, he has gained weight.

I am searching for a trainer.


No comments:

Post a Comment