Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Elliot's Fence


It is almost a month since I contracted for Elliot’s fence; for a place where he can run, and I can work on training him.

In the meantime, Elliot has his kennel, where he plays ball briefly, chews on a bone or some toy if I am with him, or lies waiting for me to take him out if left alone. He also has the back yard, which he is trashing: pulling out plants, eating others, and digging holes.

In the hot weather, his running around and digging has churned up the earth so there is a large ground cover of fine dirt. This dust does not bode well for Elliot’s eye, where, due to the surgery the vet advised, the lower lid does not adhere close enough to the eyeball.

It is not a problem and does not bother him,” he said. But dust can irritate it.”

“He’s living in dust,” I replied.

I try to walk him every day, but due to his lack of training, and a collar that doesn’t work, it is almost impossible on our hill, and somewhat difficult elsewhere. I try to find a different location every day: a park, a golf course, a quiet neighborhood, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Lately, the fence construction has made it difficult to get my car in and out of the property, so we haven’t walked that much.

I walked Sarah up and down our almost empty cul-de-sac when I trained her, but now there are more homes and dogs making it difficult. I can cover the same area inside my front fence once it is complete. The only question is: When will it be complete?

No comments:

Post a Comment